Re-opening of the Non-Contributory Parent and Other Family visas
From 25 September 2014, the following visa subclasses in the Family Stream of the Migration Programme are open to new applications:
- Parent visa (subclass 103)
- Aged Parent visa (subclass 804)
- Aged Dependent Relative visa (subclass 114)
- Aged Dependent Relative visa (subclass 838)
- Remaining Relative visa (subclass 115)
- Remaining Relative visa (subclass 835)
- Carer visa (subclass 116)
- Carer visa (subclass 836)
The legislation that closed the non-Contributory Parent and Other Family visas on 2 June 2014 was subject to a disallowance motion in the Senate on 25 September 2014. This motion was successful and therefore the closed visas were reopened immediately.
From this date the department will accept new visa applications for the previously closed visas.
Waiting times have increased for these visas based on the limited number of places available and the number of applications received.
The current waiting times for these visas are:
- Non-Contributory Parent visa – approximately 30 years
- Carer visa – approximately 4.5 years
- Remaining Relative and Aged Dependent Relative – approximately 56 years
With the current waiting times it is almost ineffective to apply for parent visa but the good news is eligible aged parents can apply for the aged parents visa and stay in Australia with bridging visa until they get their permanent visa.
For more information please visit DIBP Website: http://www.immi.gov.au/Live/Pages/non-contributory-parent-family-visas.aspx